Podiatric Acupuncture for Musculoskeletal foot and lower limb Pain
Podiatric acupuncture can be used to treat a variety of different problems affecting the foot and lower limb. One of the areas that acupuncture is used for in podiatry is the treatment of foot and lower limb musculoskeletal conditions.
What musculoskeletal conditions of the foot and ankle can acupuncture help with?
Podiatric acupuncture is an effective form of treatment for the following conditions affecting the foot and lower limb:
- Metatarsalgia / Forefoot pain
- Bunion pain
- Hallux limitus/ rigidus
- Heel pain / planter fasciitis
- Painful arches
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Knee pain patella femoral
- Painful scars to the feet / legs
- Mortons neuroma
- Painful calves
- Shin splints
How does acupuncture work to treat and prevent musculoskeletal injuries and disorders?
Acupuncture works to treat musculoskeletal problems of the foot and lower limb in the following three ways:
- By stimulating the release of endorphins which are the bodys own natural pain relieving hormones
- By causing a localised vasodilation of blood vessels which increases the circulation around the affected area. An increased blood supply encourages the removal of waste products which have accumulated in the area, these waste products are what causes the pain and discomfort associated with abnormally functioning tissues
- By relaxing stiff muscles and tendons and encouraging the growth of bone and tissues
What are the benefits of acupuncture for musculoskeletal conditions of the foot and lower limb?
The following are some of the benefits of using acupuncture in the treatment of musculoskeletal problems affecting the foot and lower limb:
- Eliminates the need for pharmaceutical and/or surgical intervention
- It is a safe and effective form of treatment when carried out correctly
- It can be used to effectively reduce pain levels
- It can sometimes be considered for patients who havent responded to medications for pain
Similar treatments/services that could help?
Other services that are available at Manchester Podiatry include:
To discuss our podiatric acupuncture service further or to arrange an appointment:
↑ back to top
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
- Taping mechanisms
- Heat therapy
- Foot mobilisation techniques
- Orthoses intervention